Texas bill of sale forms are used to legally purchase or sell a vehicle or boat located within the State. The new owner will need to keep a copy of the original in order to register and receive new title from the DMV (County Tax Office) (Find Location).
- If the owner of the vehicle would like another person to handle the sale, a power of attorney document (VTR-271) must be authorized
Additional Registration Documents
- Vehicle Ownership Transfer Notification – The seller must submit this form within thirty (30) days of the vehicle’s sale by sending to:
- TxDMV Vehicle Titles and Registration Division, PO Box 26417, Austin, TX 78755-0417
- Vessel Ownership Transfer Notification – Optional form to be used by the seller of a vessel in case the buyer does not register. This form must be completed within fifteen (15) days and sent to:
- TPWD Boat Registration, 4200 Smith School Rd, Austin, TX 78744